BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Pet listings are managed in the Pet Listing menu by clicking All Pets. When you add a pet listing, you can enter everything you'd like potential adopters to know about each pet: who they are, their characteristics or any photos or video that shows them off. You can also make edits or updates to existing pet listings from the All Pets menu as well.
At any time in the process of creating a pet listing, you can stop right where you are and save your draft for later by choosing to SAVE & EXIT.
All existing pet listings can be accessed under All Pets, whether they’ve just been drafted, are posted on Petfinder, or have already been adopted.
There are two ways you can create a pet listing. You can start a new pet listing or you can create a pet listing from a template. START A NEW PET LISTING
1. Click the ADD A PET button to open the Pet Listing Editor. The Add A Pet button can be found on your group's Dashboard, or by clicking Pet Listings, then All Pets.
2. Select an animal type, such as dog, cat, rabbit, etc.
3. Two buttons will appear. Click on START NEW.
4. Now you can continue to filling in the pet’s information, or you can click SAVE OR EXIT to save or delete the listing.
START A PET LISTING FROM A TEMPLATE
1. Complete steps 1 and 2 above. 2. In step 3, click USE TEMPLATE (the white button) instead of START NEW.
Learn more about using Pet Templates
There are new ways to save a pet's listing as you're working. You can stop and save a pet listing at any time by clicking Save or Exit. You can also complete a pet listing and keep it private (not posted on Petfinder) by using the Adoption Pending, Hold or Other status. The pet's status will let you know both where it will appear within your Petfinder Pro Dashboard, and also whether it will appear on Petfinder.
SAVE A DRAFT
A Draft allows you to save a pet listing that you've been working on so that you can return at your convenience to complete it. Drafts are located in the All Pets menu by clicking the Filter button, then clicking the Drafts button. Or, you can simply click the Drafts number on your Dashboard.
1. To save as a draft at any point, select SAVE or EXIT, located at the top left in the Pet Listing Editor.
2. A confirmation message will appear. Choose SAVE AS DRAFT.
3. When the draft has been saved, a purple success message will appear in the All Pets list view, where your draft is now located.
SAVE A COMPLETED LISTING Have you completed a pet's listing but are not quite ready to post him/her on Petfinder? Save the completed listing as "Adoption Pending", "Hold", or "Other" to keep it private within your account.
1. To save a completed listing, Choose NEXT: REVIEW & SAVE at the bottom.
2. You will be asked to choose between posting the listing now, or saving it privately.
• To save the pet listing within Pro Dashboard only, choose ADOPTION PENDING, HOLD, or OTHER.
• To post the pet listing to Petfinder choose ADOPTABLE, FOUND, or ADOPTED.
3. A message will confirm that the pet listing has been posted to Petfinder or kept private, and what the pet’s status is.
Once your pet listing has been posted to Petfinder, you can share the pet on social or return to your dashboard. If you’ve kept the listing private, you can save now it as a template or return to your All Pets menu.
You can find all of your active pet listings by clicking ALL PETS from the Pet Listing menu. Do you want to view all pet listing by type? Just go to your Dashboard and click on the numbers for Adoptable, Adoption Pending, Pets on Hold, Pets Adopted or Drafts to go straight to the pet listings!
EDITING & UPDATING 1. Click Pet Listings then All Pets from the menu, or click the purple ALL PETS button on the top right of your Dashboard.
2. Click on the pet you’d like to edit (you can do this by searching, or by using filters to narrow your list).
3. Click EDIT to open the Pet Listing Editor.
4. Make your edits or updates.
Now you can save your edits by choosing NEXT: REVIEW & SAVE, or choose to SAVE or CANCEL to revert back to the previous version.
POSTING A PET
Ready to have your pet appear on Petfinder? Mark them as ADOPTABLE, FOUND, or ADOPTED. POST A PET TO PETFINDER
1. From your Pet Listing Editor, select NEXT: SAVE & REVIEW
2. If fields required to post are missing, they will be listed in yellow alerts at the top.
3. To post your pet, you’ll need to update any required fields by clicking FIX IT.
4. When the pet's listing is complete, you will have the option of posting the pet now, or saving it privately: Choose ADOPTABLE, FOUND, or ADOPTED to post the pet.
5. A message will confirm that the pet listing has been posted to Petfinder, and what his or her status is.
POSTING ADOPTABLE TRANSPORT PETS
For the growing population of Petfinder Members engaged in long-distance adoption, Petfinder offers functionality to list pets that can be transported from the current location to a destination where a loving home awaits. CREATE A TRANSPORT DESTINATION LOCATION To post a pet as available for transport, you must first create a location for the transport destination.
- From your group’s dashboard, click Settings
- Click Locations
- Click ADD A LOCATION
- Under Type of location, select Transport Destination
- Complete all necessary fields
- Click Save
ADD A LOCAL PET LISTING If your group offers both local and long-distance adoptions, you will first add a pet listing using Organization Public Information as your location (or whichever location your group generally uses to represent your primary address). For more detailed instructions on adding pet listings, visit Add A New Pet Listing.
ADD A TRANSPORT PET LISTING
- Create as many pet listings as you have transport locations. The distance between each of these locations must be greater than 100 miles.
- In the Location field, select your desired Transport Destination. These locations will be will be tagged appropriately in the dropdown menu.
WHAT ADOPTERS WILL SEE
- An adopter performing a search within a specific radius will see local pets as well as pets with Transport Destinations that meet the search criteria.
- Pets tied to a Transport Destination are marked with an OUT-OF-TOWN PET
- When a user clicks on an OUT-OF-TOWN PET, there are three additional indicators that show the user this pet is not at a physical location near them.
- There is an OUT-OF-TOWN PET banner at the top of the pet’s profile
- There is a purple bar that includes a disclaimer, plus a link to Learn More
- Under the physical map location, new verbiage reads Can be transported to: before the address
LEARN MORE LINK
If the adopter were to click Learn More, they will be taken to a landing page that contains FAQs around Pet Transport. Here is a link to that content: https://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/pet-adoption-information/pet-transport/
REMOVING OUT-OF-TOWN PETS FROM SEARCH RESULTS T
he adopter has the ability to exclude OUT-OF-TOWN PETS by deselecting the opt-in box below the Petfinder search filters.
DELETE A PET LISTING
You can find all of your active pet listings by clicking ALL PETS from the Pet Listing menu. To view pets of other status, please use the FILTER button.
DELETING A PET 1. Click Pet Listings then All Pets from the menu, or click the purple ALL PETS button on the top right of your Dashboard.
2. Click on the pet you’d like to delete (you can do this by searching, or by using filters to narrow your list).
3. Click to select the status drop down menu, scroll down through the status options and click Deleted.
4. Next, click Update to delete the pet listing.